2013年9月19日 星期四

Janis Ian出版童書


民歌手Janis Ian的童書"The Tiny Mouse"「小老鼠」九月17日在美國出版,這本書有32頁還搭配一片CD一起賣,大意是講一隻無聊的小老鼠決定走向大海,最後差點喪命的故事。

 

Janis Ian本名Janis Eddy Fink ,1951年出生於紐約,是一位當代民歌歌手與作曲人,擅長吉他與鋼琴演奏,後來並成功轉行為專欄與科幻小說作家。

 

1965年當Janis Ian只有14歲的時候,她就寫了一首跨種族戀情的歌Society's Child(Baby  I've  Been Thinking),1967年推出後獲得過第14名,後來此曲被收入Grammy獎歌曲名人堂。

 

1975年Janis Ian則有一首她在排行榜名次最好的歌At Seventeen,除了獲得二週第3名之外,也讓她獲得當年Grammy最佳流行歌曲女歌星獎。

 

Janis Ian第二度獲得Grammy獎則於今年(2013),她因口述自傳Society's Child而獲最佳專輯旁白獎,而這本自傳40年前就已出版。

 

Janis Ian曾與波多黎各製片Tino Sargo結婚,但於1983年離婚,1993年Janis宣告出櫃,2003年與女友Patricia在多倫多結婚。

 

她曾鼓勵患重病的母親Pearl完成心願得到碩士學位,並於母親往生後成立Pearl Foundation基金會,繼續協助那些年長但有心向學的人。

 


 

JANIS IAN

At Seventeen

 

I learned the truth at seventeen

That love was meant for beauty queens

In high school girls with clear skinned smiles

Who married young and then retired

The valentines I never knew

The Friday night charades of youth

Were spent on one more beautiful

At seventeen I learned the truth

And those of us with ravaged faces

Lacking in the social graces

Desperately remained at home

Inventing lovers on the phone

Who called to say come dance with me

And murmured vague obscenities

It isn't all it seems

At seventeen

 

 

A brown eyed girl in hand me downs

Whose name I never could pronounce

Said, Pity please the ones who serve

They only get what they deserve

And the rich relationed hometown queen

Married into what she needs

A guarantee of company

And haven for the elderly

Remember those who win the game

Lose the love they sought to gain

Indebentures of quality

And dubious integrity

Their small town eyes will gape at you

in dull surprise when payment due

Exceeds accounts received

At seventeen

 

 

To those of us who knew the pain

Of valentines that never came

And those whose names were never called

When choosing sides for basketball

It was long ago and far away

The world was younger than today

And dreams were all they gave for free

To ugly duckling girls like me

We all play the game and when we dare

To cheat ourselves at solitaire

Inventing lovers on the phone

Repenting other lives unknown

That call and say, come dance with me

And murmur vague obscenities

At ugly girls like me

At seventeen

沒有留言:

張貼留言

Wham! Featuring George Michael-Careless Whisper

      George Michael 在老家當地電影院當引座員時,有很多時間思考。當時他只有16歲,覺得這份工作很無聊,於是利用空閒時間創作歌詞。有一天,在公車上,他突然想到了一首名為「無心快語」(Careless Whisper)的歌的旋律。四年後,這首歌在英國、美國甚至中...