2018年11月22日 星期四

Roy Clark-Yesterday When I Was Young


  鄉村歌唱界傳奇歌手與著名的鄉村歌曲搞笑節目Hee Haw主持人Roy Clark,11月15日病逝於奧克拉荷馬州Tulsa(85歲)。這位Grammy、CMA 及 ACM獎的得主,也是鄉村歌曲名人堂的一員。

  Roy Clark會演奏斑卓琴、吉他、曼陀林等多種樂器,表演時臉上總是帶著微笑,他能成為家喻戶曉的黃金時段鄉村歌曲電視綜藝節目Hee Haw的明星,主要因為二十年來他擔任鄉村歌曲教父級歌星Buck Owens的助理主持人,另外他也是第一位從鄉村歌曲跨界流行歌曲的歌手,而且在米蘇里州Branson經營的現場演唱劇場也很成功。

  Roy Clark出生於維吉尼亞州Meherrin,1950年贏得一場全美斑卓琴比賽冠軍後應邀上鄉村歌曲聖堂Grand Ole Opry節目表演,接著受邀替Ernest Tubb 及Red Foley伴奏,Jimmy Dean的鄉村歌曲電視節目也是他定期上的節目,1960年他接手Wanda Jackson在拉斯維加賭場表演的樂隊,當時他的演出融合了鄉村歌曲、早期搖滾、爵士樂、與流行歌曲的樂風,加上他舞台上的反傳統表演,使他一夕成名。
       
  Roy Clark有52首歌進過鄉村歌曲排行榜(1963-1989),包括1973年的冠軍曲"Come Live With Me",他有9首top 10、 24首 top 40 暢銷曲,另外,他有6首歌跨界進Billboard Hot 100熱門排行榜,包括1969年八月獲得第19名的"Yesterday, When I Was Young"。

  Roy Clark除了歌唱事業外,他於1970年代也常在廣告和電視節目露臉,1976年他成了第一位在前蘇聯演出的美國藝人,1983年他在米蘇里州Branson開了一家the Roy Clark Celebrity Theater劇場,1987年並重新加入the Grand Ole Opry演出團隊,他的自傳My Life -- In Spite of Myself! 也於1994年出版。
  
  "Yesterday When I Was Young"是一首動聽的歌,歌詞寫得很好-,是一首「感時」的歌,其中的這幾句歌詞看得出作者對青春時節的深情回味。

I lived by night and shunned the naked light of the day
and only now I see how the years ran away.

The friedns I made all seemed somehow to drift away
and only I am left on stage to end the play.

The time has come for me to pay for yesterday when I was young.

 

Yesterday When I Was Young
Herbert Kretzmer


Yesterday when I was young
the taste of life was sweet as rain upon my tongue.
I teased at life as if it were a foolish game,
the way the evening breeze may tease a candle flame.
The thousand dreams I dreamed, the splendid things I planned
I always built alas on weak and shifting sand.
I lived by night and shunned the naked light of the day
and only now I see how the years ran away.

Yesterday when I was young
so many  happy songs were waiting to be sung,
so many wayward pleasures lay in store for me
and so much pain my dazzled eyes refused to see
I ran so fast that time and youth at last ran out,
I never stopped to think what life was all about
and every conversation I can now recall
concerned itself with me and nothing else at all.

Yesterday the moon was blue
and every crazy day brought something new to do.
I used my magic age as if it were a wand
and never saw the waste and emptiness beyond.
The game of love I played with arrogance and pride
and every flame I lit too quickly quickly died.
The friedns I made all seemed somehow to drift away
and only I am left on stage to end the play.
There are so many songs in me that won't be sung,
I feel the bitter taste of tears upon my tongue.
The time has come for me to pay for yesterday when I was young.



沒有留言:

張貼留言

Wham! Featuring George Michael-Careless Whisper

      George Michael 在老家當地電影院當引座員時,有很多時間思考。當時他只有16歲,覺得這份工作很無聊,於是利用空閒時間創作歌詞。有一天,在公車上,他突然想到了一首名為「無心快語」(Careless Whisper)的歌的旋律。四年後,這首歌在英國、美國甚至中...